Chief Market Strategist
Provides bond recommendations and xed income portfolio strategy for regional and community banks and also high net worth clients throughout the United States. Author of the weekly Strategist newsletter that discusses economic relationships, trends and investment opportunities.
- Executive Vice President and Managing Director: UMB Bank, Kansas City, N.A., 1981– 2015. Served on UMB’s Fund Management, Interest Rate Outlook and Asset Allocation Committees and led the Investment Banking Division’s Bank Portfolio Advisory Group. Editor of the UMB Daily Market Comment, which he founded in 1994.
- Author: More Yield, Less Risk…Better Sleep. A Common Sense Approach to Managing Your Bank’s Bond Portfolio. (Amazon books, FMS Publishing) Nest Egg. How to Build Yours…Then Turn It into Something Extraordinary. (Amazon books, Rockhill Books Publishing)
- Faculty Member: Graduate School of Banking (GSB), Madison, WI 1986 to present, as well as serving on the Banker Advisory Board, Curriculum Review Committee and lecturer in the Post Graduate Program and Curriculum for College Faculty. Financial Managers Society (FMS), Chicago, Illinois, 2000 to present. Instructor at the CFO School, cosponsored by GSB and FMS, from 2000-2010, and in numerous FMS webinars.
- Lecturer: MBA program (Money and Banking and Investments courses) at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS. 2010 - present.
- Columnist: Bank News Magazine, bimonthly 1989 to present, on a wide variety of portfolio management and economic topics, including the outlook for interest rates and the markets.
- Public Speaking Events: Conducted over 150 investment seminars including state banking conventions and economic outlook conferences throughout the United States as well as speaking five times at the Community Bankers National Convention, sponsored by the American Bankers Association. Author of the investments section of ABA’s “Toobox for the Future”.
- Securities Licenses: MSRB Series 52- Representative and MSRB Series 53- Principal
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Kansas, 1979
- MBA, University of Kansas, 1981
Married for over 35 years with three sons.